Monday, March 9, 2009

March Madness

Go St. Al's Gray Gators!
Madness. As I write this blog it has snowed another 3 inches. It's sticking and yes we could describe it as "snowing like a banshee" at this moment. I fully realize the irony of the 3+ inches of snow on top of my full yard-waste-recycling bin waiting by the curb for pick up should the trucks make it around. Enough already with the snow. Besides warmer weather and longer days, we are hoping that March brings with it many things. Although at this time spring does not appear to be one of them... the basketball craze is.

Benjamin fell into the sport of basketball mainly due to his best friend's suggestion that he play on the team. His friend's Dad is the coach, you see. And he's really rather good (something about Gonzaga and a run with the Utah Jazz and this catchy phrase "Dream Team" and the summer Olympics.) Turns out he's more than a gifted athlete- he's a talented and inspiring coach as well.

Ben does not receive basketball talent from either parent. I spent a season with the Brentwood Bulldogs in my starchy white, orange and black uniform in the 5th grade. I made ONE basket during a game. That's right. The pinnacle of my success. I'm sure it was amazing. I played point-guard and dealt mainly with "assists" which I'm sure were also stellar. Nothing but nice, crisp passes I am sure. I think that might be one of the reasons that I identify so well with Coach Stockton. Micky was a 3-letter athlete in high school. None of the sports included baskets. He does play a rather rousting game of bump or P-I-G with 5 and 7 year-olds. But, because of us (maybe?) Ben is tall. That helps.
Since Ben's team has what some other parents might see as an Advantage with the coaching staff, coach Stockton has the second-graders playing against third-graders. Several things happen in the YMCA third grade bracket as opposed to second grade:
(1) The kids play on Friday night- which is awesome because it doesn't crud up your ENTIRE weekend plans.
(2) The basket is higher- standard height. The same height as GU players- (William likes to point this out.)
(3) The kids are bigger. (See above mentioned paragraph for Ben's one advantage from parents)
(4) The kids are faster.
(5) The kids make more shots.
(6) The refs are tougher on calls- travelling, double-dribble, over-and-back (which I think is called technically called offsides in baseketball like other sports... it's been a long time since 5th grade)
(7) They get to play at the Warehouse- which is a crazy nut-house full of kids and whistles, BUT at least you don't leave feeling jaundiced from those stupid yellow-flourescent bulbs that the Spokane Junior High Schools seem to have a monopoly on. [There is just enough crummy lighting to ruin most all photo opportunities, however.]
There is still no stealing allowed unless another kid shanks a pass. Then they can take it. Ben has developed quite a knack for this. And fouls are called and free throws permitted. It's a fun game.
To date, Ben has far out-shone my record of ONE basket per season. And is, in fact, shooting usually about one a game! He's getting better each day. Benjamin is the team expert on left-handed lay-ups (no, he is not left-handed) and really has heart in his playing. Ben has found himself in a different spot than in soccer- he is not the best player on the team- yet. But he puts it out there. We are proud of our Star and his determination and love for the game. Since we have basic cable [which is also known as "we-don't-have-that-sports-channel-EITHER!!" cable] we are missing out on some of the Important Games of March Madness. Last night, a last-minute showing of our house sent us to the Swinging Doors (Family) Restaurant and bar where there are- I am not kidding you- over 34 TV's. We counted. Over some nachos and Fat Tire Ale we had the pleasure of rooting on the Zags. William corrected me twice on the players names and stats and informed me that Austin Day was having a terrific game becuase "he doesn't usually make the 3's from that side." And I had a realization that the love of the game does not have to be genetic, or learned or forced... it can just be. May the best players win! And everyone else have a great time trying.

No comments:

Feels like Home...

Did you ever come to a place and instantly recognize it as your ‘Ultima Thule,’ the one spot in all God’s world where you belonged- where your roots could go deep into the soil which would forever nourish you, where inspiration and spiritual blessing welled up from the earth to the top of the tallest Tamarack, spread to the encasing bowl of sky, return on every waterway to feed you everlastingly? Such a spot, so it seemed to me, was Priest Lake. ~ Nell Shipman, 1924