Sunday, October 5, 2008

Soccer Season

We have welcomed fall in all its glory. And in all its craziness! Fall equates with a return to routine as well- however nutty it may be... school, piano, art class and sports. Both boys are especially enjoying their soccer status. I, myself, did not grow up on a field. After a few traumatic hits to the face with a soccer ball, I can safely say I was not attracted to the sport. But looking back, I wish I had experienced the team-atmosphere a bit more, and we are grateful that our boys are blessed with that opportunity.

Ben has been playing with the same group of boys for 2 years now. And he has quite a coach. He's really the whole-package-deal (a.k.a. Micky). This is the first year of 4-on-4 and that includes a goalie. Ben is more of a "power forward," if I do say. The flourescent orange goalie jersey is to be shared by the team and lovingly washed by the coaches wife apparently. Since it was a size adult medium I attempted some alterations. After trimming and hemming 5 inches off of the sleaves and torso it is still wide enough to fit a small rhino, but it is at least a bit more proportionate. The team actually looks and plays like a team now. They pass and set up plays with some serious labor and forethought. The goal tally for Ben this weekend was 3. Some weeks are better than others- a life lesson that we all know about. Go Black Knights!

Will has found a confidence on the field that has been surprising to say the least. He's a fast little bugger and playing with his brother since he was oh, 1 year old has been beneficial in the coordination department. William actually had to learn a new a couple of definitions at his first practice. Last year Will started out by crying and holding on to Mick's leg for dear life. This year after a few shots in the goal he announced to all his teammates, "See- I told you I was good." And later, "Aren't you glad I'm on your team, Coach!" The definitions Will learned were "modesty" and "bragging," but we've got it down now and it's awesome to see him tear it up on the field. After years of waiting for his turn- William's got it dialed in. Speaking of flourescent- his team's one of the easiest to spot- 80's glow green. Will's goal tally for the weekend was 4 with 1 assist. Go Green-Gator-Mashers! (I am not making that up- that's the team name)

Wish you could see them in action, but that involves a lot of time and driving! Next time you need a granola bar, fruit snack or juice box- you'll know where to find us... on the field.

No comments:

Feels like Home...

Did you ever come to a place and instantly recognize it as your ‘Ultima Thule,’ the one spot in all God’s world where you belonged- where your roots could go deep into the soil which would forever nourish you, where inspiration and spiritual blessing welled up from the earth to the top of the tallest Tamarack, spread to the encasing bowl of sky, return on every waterway to feed you everlastingly? Such a spot, so it seemed to me, was Priest Lake. ~ Nell Shipman, 1924