He's gone.
They're all gone.
Happy. Adjusted. Hopefully being kind and respectful.
Meeting friends. Learning. Laughing and cavorting carefree.
We've counted down the days like a Advent calendar.
Middle school. Fifth Grade. Kindergarten.
That's the one that hurts the most.
Kindergarten.
That's the one I knew to be prepared for.
That's the one where I knew I was going to lose it.
"It's over" I lament to my hubby through tears and heartache.
"No, babe, It's okay. It's just beginning."
"No.
My part.
It's over."
And it is.
A finished chapter.
We are no longer pre-school.
We are school. All of them. School.
I did my part. And, man, I loved my part.
I relished my part.
Years and years of juggling stay-at-home with night shift and day shift.
I miss that part. Just Being there in that part.
I dream of the stumbling to the crib for exhausted nursing sessions.
I would fight for a giggle or a coo.
I miss the structure of nap-time. Notes on the door daring anyone to ring the doorbell.
It's so quiet.
It's so lonely.
I think the ache is knowing I won't get to play that part again.
With any of them.
All 3 gloriously grown.
But the glare. The glare of Kindergarten blinds my heart as I let go.
And yes.
I know they still need me for the new chapters.
Thankfully so.
But it's not the same.
Permission slips replace kisses.
Backpacks replace blankies.
Lunchboxes replace bibs.
I knew to be ready for Kindergarten.
I knew I never would be.
No comments:
Post a Comment