| Bloomsday 2012 |
| Tyler and his buddy Elliot playing a hilarious game of cat and mouse for the Little edition of Fund Run 2012 |
And yes, childhood is a time for building up and encouragement. And character. Is it nurture or nature? this character that defines who we are as people? Will just finished a school project on "Who do you want to be when you grow up?" And that's great. I'm all for dreaming and planning and wishes and hopes. And maybe someday he'll play on the MLS circuit for the Timbers. Likely not. So this week I've been asking them, "Who do you want to be now?"
The lessons of respecting Mom and Dad. Taking care of your stuff. Doing what you're asked the First time. Having your voice heard. The exhaustion of parenting consistency- even when it's easier to just do it yourself- let it go- give in. We can't. I want our boys to own up to their character now. Not just in this future life of maybes. God is guiding you. And you're not to young to listen. Grounding. Privileges revoked. Stair-sitting time outs. Sigh.
I'm reading the Narcissism Epidemic. Fascinating. About Generation "me" and raising kids in what they call 'the age of entitlement.' Touche. Kids who grow up and their parents attend their job interviews or call professors to refute their grade. Wow. Stand on your own feet. And stand tall. That's how we're trying to raise you boys. Hoping and trying.
Last week was the St. Al's Fund run. Of course it's supposed to focus on fun and fitness and raising money for our school. What do 8 year old boys focus on? Winning. Yes. The most laps. And Will of course the most competitive of competitive is in it to win it. And granted he ran Bloomsday in 1:10 minutes- and kicked my ever-loving-tail. This was his to lose. And he did. Got a side ache. 13 minutes into the 15 minutes. A case of self-destruction exacerbated by loss of pride. That was my nursing diagnosis anyways. And the Moms flock around- are you okay? I know he's okay. I know it's his pride that's hurt. And he's crying and grabbing his right side and I say all tough-love-frustrated. 'How are you going to handle this Will? Everyone is looking at you... what do you want them to remember... what do you want to remember... can you get it together? I know you're upset. Breathe. That will help your side ache. That will help.' And it does. Eventually. Scene not withstanding. When you're 8 it's a big deal. I get it.
And we come back from lunch for the Awards Ceremony. And I'm talking to my good friend whose daughter has won for her grade and she says, "You know, We made them this way." Referring to their competitive nature. It's true. 'In it to win it' has it's time and place and it can be hard to differentiate when this life lesson has merit.
Will's classmate's name was announced and he went up to receive his medal. And Will, bless his heart, didn't skip a beat. Came right up beside him. "Good job, bud. Can I see your medal? It's so cool- it's different from last years. You ran so great. I'm proud of you." And I'm choking up. That... is so hard to do. I don't know if I could muster that strength. That grace. And I think, Definitely yes, we made them this way.
On the ride home I tell Will how proud I am of him. The medal doesn't matter, but they way he handled himself inspires me. Makes me more proud than any win ever could. And he smiles while he tears up himself. 'It was so hard Mom, but it really helped that he's my friend.' Runner up. That's a good place to be.
| Tyler signing shirts- like a big kid. Impressive T-Y's |
| Some love for Spike, The GU mascot |
| That's what it's all about |
No comments:
Post a Comment